YOUTH VERSUS A VIOLENT WORLD; YOUTH IN A VIOLENT WORLD; YOUTH OF A VIOLENT WORLD IMAGES HAVE MEANING!?
- The artful construction of images tells a story (narrative)
- Watch: Until the Quiet Comes
- Writing Response: What is the narrative (story) of Until the Quiet Comes?
Film techniques are used to influence and persuade/manipulate viewers towards a specific conclusion, often without the viewer’s conscious understanding.
What are film techniques?
- How are these techniques used to influence the viewer?
- How can these techniques be used subliminally?
Read: YALE STUDY GUIDE:
- Chapters 1, 2, and 3: Define the key terms of this reading in your “own language” so that you can understand filmmaking terminalogy and participate in discussion using the specific language of filmmaking.
View: 2 + 2 = 5
View: Miracle Fish
DISCUSSION: The cinematic representation of youth and its confrontation with the “violent world” in 2 +2 = 5 and Miracle Fish.
WRITE: 5 PARAGRAPH ESSAY: DUE MONDAY, MAY 5, 2014
- Compare and contrast the representation of the protagonists in the films 2 +2 = 5 and Miracle Fish. In these short films, how are we introduced and coaxed into thinking and feeling about the protagonists and their relationship with violence by the filmmaking?
**DO NOT SIMPLY WRITE ABOUT THE PLOT. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE MIS-EN-SCENE AND THE CINEMATOGRAPHY. CONSIDER AND CALL ATTENTION TO KEY CONCEPTS OUTLINED IN THE YALE STUDY GUIDE. SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS WITH REASONS AND COMMENTARY. SUBMIT VIA TURNITIN.COM**
- Review Chapters 4, 5, 6 Yale Study Guide